Did you know that we possess within our bodies about 650 times more lead than a century ago? Lead is extremely toxic, dangerous to health, and unfortunately takes its abode in our bones. Lovely thought! There are some simple foods found right in the kitchen and natural supplements that can act as natural chelators helping to remove the lead.
The term “chelation” is really not as confusing as it sounds. Simply put, a chelating agent attaches itself to a heavy metal such as lead or mercury and pulls it out of your body, deactivating it during the process. Think of the way fiber can bind to unhealthy food remnants in your colon and push them through your pipes and out into the world.
There are synthetic chelators that are given by a medical professional for more serious cases of high lead toxicity. Luckily, nature has provided us with every day foods and supplements that can be taken as daily detoxifiers to help our body rid itself of built up toxins and metals.
Dr. Julian Whitaker, MD, is a well known alternative medicine doctor who has written various books on chelation therapy and much more. Here are some interesting statistics according to his book “Health & Healing”… “More than 90 percent of your body’s total burden of lead exists in your skeleton. Lead is a neurotoxin that causes mental retardation and developmental delays in children and a multitude of cognitive problems in people of all ages.” He goes on describing other possible related health issues including impairment of circulation, elevated blood pressure, increased risk of cardiovascular disease, kidney problems, cancer, premature death, etc.
According to Dr. Whitaker, the best natural chelators include:
- Vitamin C (fruits, superfruit berries, and fresh veggies
- IP6 (phytic acid acid found in fiber rich nuts, seesd and grains – can also be supplemented)
- Garlic & cilantro
- PectaSol Chelation (Supplement made of Citrus Pectin, sea vegetables and other ingredients specifically for binding to and pulling out heavy metals)
- NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine is a more stable form of the amino acid L-Cysteine that is a powerful anti-toxin that reduces free radical damage and helps protect the body against environmental toxins) – taken as a supplement
- ALA – alpha lipoic acid is an antioxidant naturally made by the body. Ideally it is best to be supplemented but is also found in red meat and yeast (brewers and nutritional)
- Zeolites – Volcanic mineral that acts as an amazing chelating agent pulling out environmental toxins and pollutants in the body.